St. Cattwg's Church

Our church is the main focal point of our village, as it is seen as soon as you enter Llanspyddid especially from Brecon. The church is in regular use with services on most Sundays throughout the year.The summer of 2006 has seen many members of our community starting to tidy up and restore the churchyard. With overgrown trees and brambles on the south side of the churchyard it was very difficult to even see our village from the main road. These have now been removed, the ground leveled and seeded with grass seed; hopefully we will have nice green grass there in the springtime. Other on-going projects at the moment involve removing overgrown bushes so that we can see the lovely old yew trees; trying to remove as much ivy as possible from some of the old unattended graves and the east wall of the churchyard. To see more of the work we have completed to date, have a look at our Churchyard Restoration pictures at bottom of this page.

Below - Extract from Sant Cattwg's Church. Llanspyddid. Historical Notes.

The dedication, location and morphology of the churchyard indicate that this is an early medieval foundation. As with so many churches in rural Powys little of its subsequent history and development is known.

The Church was restored in 1880 by C. Buckeridge when he re roofed and partially rebuilt the church giving it "a regular and boring interior" (Haslam) and a west bellcote. The specification for the work required existing masonary to be re-used and excavation beneath the floor to a dept of two feet, and until comparatively recently this was one of the few surviving churches in the old county of Breconshire with a completely stone tiled roof. In 1964, however, it was found necessary to replace the stone on the north side with artificial tiles and the south side of the roof was also replaced in 1983. There are three original windows, Crossley and Ridgeway in Arch Camb 1952 were of the opinion that the pulpit tester or sounding board, a notable feather of the interior was an adaptation of all that remained of the late 15th Century Rood Screen. This was restored in 1958.

Left - St Cattwg's church as viewed from the north.

Left - This is the Cross which once stood on top of the church bell cote, these two pieces have been found during our churchyard restoration, it is hoped that the third missing piece will eventually turn up.

Left - to the south of the church is an upright stone with two carvings of two circled crosses, one with four small circles placed around it. An inscription noted by Lhwyd in 1698 is no longer visible; standing 90cm high; 7thC-9thC. It is said to mark the grave of Aulach, father of Brychan. Dawson claimed that it was originally double its present height but was cut down at the time of the 1880 restoration.

Left - View from the church altar.

St. Cattwg's Church Incumbents

Extract from Sant Cattwg's Church. Llanspyddid. Historical Notes.

  Gwilym Gam 1731 Edward Williams
  Howel ap Cadwgan 1781 Benjamin Jeffreys
1404 Roger Horchard 1800 John Jones
1419 David Mawr 1833 H Pritchard, Curate.
1492 William Morgan 1839 J Morris, Curate.
1502 David ap Rosser byr. 1844 J.M.Downes, Curate.
  Thomas Meredith 1847 J.M.Jones, Vicar.
1571 Thomas Williams 1853 J. Morgan, Vicar.
  Daniel Williams 1884 Thomas Griffiths, Vicar.
  William Jones 1938 T.R.J Jones, Vicar.
1630 John Griffiths 1959 J.A. Bowen-Jones, Vicar.
1663 Edward Games 1967 G. Rex Morgan, Vicar.
1666 Jacob Wood 1980 James Coutts, Vicar.
1668 Edward Wood 1984 John Lewis, Vicar.
1703 Morgan Prosser 1991 David Thomas, Vicar.
1705 Thomas Morgan 2010 Tim Williams, Vicar.
1706 Thomas Williams    

 

St. Cattwg's Churchyard / field Restoration

From the Summer of 2006 through to the Spring of 2009, the residents of Llanspyddid got together and started the mamouth task of restoring the churchyard and adjacent church field. After the completed refurbishment project the “Church Field” was blessed and opened by the Rev. David Thomas to mark the hard work undertaken by villagers and other kind hearted people from outside the village, keen to help us to restore the Church Field and make it accessible for us to enjoy.
        Although it’s main purpose remains as an extension to the church yard and in time possibly serving as a burial ground, it is hoped as a village we can enjoy and make use of it for Village Fete’s, Games etc. 

Left before

Right after


Left before

Right after

.

Left before

Right after


Left before

Right after


16th May 2009, The Rev David Thomas blessed our church field and declared it open for us all to use as a community.